AM21-073, October 10, 1881
Form of Material
Letter written on New Orleans & North-Eastern Railroad, Engineer Department letterhead from Poplarville, Mississippi, by G.B. Nicholson. The envelope is addressed to Mrs. Matilda Nicholson in Covington, Kentucky. The 2-page letter describes Poplarville and his experiences living there.
- October 10, 1881
Conditions Governing Access
Noncirculating; available for research.
History by David S Price and Tony Howe (See External Link, Bottom of Page)
The idea of a railroad running the 196 miles between Meridian and New Orleans was conceived by William H. Hardy.
The New Orleans & Northeastern Railroad was incorporated on March 16, 1870, and preliminary surveys made in the following two years. All work on the railroad came to an abrupt halt, however, because of a severe depression in 1873. Even though all funds dried up, Hardy refused to give up. In 1877, Hardy contacted a New York banking firm of Otto Plock & Co. through Montgomery, Alabama, banker Fred Wolf. Plock, in turn, arranged financing of the construction of the NO&NE with Baron Emil d’Erlanger, a German-born financier living in England. Because the old NO&NE charter had expired, a new one was incorporated in 1880 with Fred Wolf as president, and Hardy as vice-president. The Erlanger Syndicate also owned other railroads, namely the Cincinnati Southern, the Alabama Great Southern, the Vicksburg & Meridian, and the Vicksburg, Shreveport & Pacific. These roads, along with the NO&NE, were known as the Queen & Crescent System.
To oversee construction of the NO&NE, which started in 1881, George B. Nicholson was appointed chief engineer of the southern division, extending from New Orleans to the Pearl River, while Samuel Whinery became chief engineer in charge of the northern division from Pearl River to Meridian. Actual construction work started in February 1882, and by August of 1883, trains were running as far south as Hattiesburg, and the track was completed to a point about 26 miles north of the Pearl River. Track was also completed between New Orleans and Pearl River, with the exception of the long bridge over Lake Pontchartrain. The bridge was the last part to be completed. It was considered the longest railroad bridge in the world, and included 21 miles of wood trestle and two draw spans. Many miles of the approach trestles were later filled in to reduce maintenance. The first regular freight train from Meridian to New Orleans ran on Saturday, November 3, 1883, while the first regular passenger train ran on November 18th.
The Southern Railway acquired an interest in the New Orleans & Northeastern, as well as the other components of the Queen & Crescent System, in 1895. In late 1916, Southern finally purchased total control of the NO&NE by buying out the remaining English-controlled stock. All three lines (CNO&TP, AGS, and NO&NE) maintained their separate corporate identities, but were owned by and operated as a part of the Southern Railway system. The New Orleans & Northeastern was later merged into the Alabama Great Southern on January 31, 1969. Southern Railway merged with Norfolk & Western on June 1, 1982, becoming Norfolk Southern, who continues to operate the line today.
Language of Materials
From the Unprocessed Collection: English
Purchased with Culpepper funds
- Letter. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mississippi -- History -- 19th century. Subject Source: Local sources
- New Orleans and North Eastern Railroad Company.. NO&NE. Mandeville and Sulphur Springs Railroad Company (1868-1916)
- Railroads -- Mississippi. Subject Source: Local sources
- Railroads. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
Part of the Historical Manuscripts and Photographs Repository
118 College Drive - 5148
Hattiesburg MS 39406-0001