Lavender Family Paper
Form of Material
Documents relating to the G.C. Lavender and J.L. Parker families of Tallahatchie County, Mississippi.
2. Voter registration certificate.
3. Poll tax and propert tax receipts.
4. Certificate of membership in Sons of Temperance.
5. Newspaper clippings.
6. Bill of sale for cotton.
7. Autograph album.
10. Oath of Allegiance to the Union following the Civil War.
- circa 1853-1982
Conditions Governing Access
Noncirculating; available for research.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected from unauthorized copying by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code).
Biographical / Historical
Mrs. Virginia Lavender of Memphis, Tennessee has donated to the USM Archives Lavender family papers which document life in Tallahatchie County, Mississippi from 1853 to 1982.
One of the items in the collection is a bill of sale issued by Menken Brothers, Importers and Dealers in Dry Goods, Etc. of Memphis, dated 1872. The bill shows that J.L. Parker on the maternal side of the Lavender family paid a grand total of $46.95 for merchandise. For this sum, Mr. Parker acquired one trunk, 4 pairs of children's shoes, a pair of bachelor's boots, 246 yards of various kinds of fabric, and a pair of cloth gaiters or leg coverings which reached from the ankle to the knee.
The Lavender Family Papers include an autograph album, tax receipts, bills of sale, correspondence, photographs, and newspaper clippings.
Mrs. Lavender is the mother of Ms. Kay Wall, former Director of Public Services for the USM Libraries.
.20 Cubic Feet : 302A.B15.N5
Language of Materials
Donated by Mrs. Virginia Lavender.
- Autographs. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Clippings (Books, newspapers, etc.). Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Financial documents. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Letter. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photographs. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Lavender Family Paper
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Historical Manuscripts and Photographs Repository
118 College Drive - 5148
Hattiesburg MS 39406-0001