Dr. James H. McPhail Collection
Scope and Contents
This collection consists of a CD copy of Dr. James H. McPhail’s StoryCorps 2007 oral history interview and a photocopy of Dr. McPhail’s obituary.
- circa 1930-2013
- McPhail, James H., Dr., 1930-2013 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Noncirculating; available for research.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected from unauthorized copying by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code).
Biographical / Historical
Dr. James H. McPhail was born on March 14, 1930 in Neshoba County, Mississippi. Dr. McPhail graduated from Longino High School in Philadelphia, Mississippi and received a BS in Business Education. Dr. McPhail would later receive an MS in Health, Physical Education and Recreation, both his BS and MA were completed at the University of Southern Mississippi. Dr. McPhail obtained his doctorate in Education from Boston University in 1962. Dr. McPhail taught at the University of Southern Mississippi and would later become the chair of the Department of Educational Administration and Research, eventually becoming the director of the Institute for Educational Leadership. After the court-ordered desegregation in the 1970s, Dr. McPhail worked with school districts to make the transition easier. Dr. McPhail died March 31, 2013 at the age of 83. He was also an inductee into the University of Southern Mississippi’s Alumni Hall of Fame and a member of the Black and Gold Society.
Language of Materials
This collection contains a CD copy of Dr. James H. McPhail’s StoryCorps 2007 oral history interview. Dr. McPhail, former faculty member of the University of Southern Mississippi, worked to facilitate relations between Mississippi school districts and the U.S. Department of Health, Education and Welfare during the implementation of court-ordered desegregation in the early 1970s. This 40-minute interview details his involvement in that process and touches on his early life in Philadelphia, Mississippi.
Also included is a photocopy of Dr. McPhail’s obituary.
The contents of the collection are arranged in the order in which they were received.
Donated by Meredith McPhail on September 11, 2014.
• Case File
• Contents from the collection
- McPhail, James H., Dr., 1930-2013
- Obituaries. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oral histories. Subject Source: Local sources
- Race relations. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Segregation. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- University of Southern Mississippi -- Faculty. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- University of Southern Mississippi -- Students. Subject Source: Local sources
- Dr. James H. McPhail Collection
- Collection processed and finding aid written by Amanda Abulawi
- July 17, 2020
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Historical Manuscripts and Photographs Repository
118 College Drive - 5148
Hattiesburg MS 39406-0001