Adams County Broadside
Scope and Contents
This collection contains one broadside prepared by the Committee of Law and Order in Adams County, Mississippi.
- Adams County, Mississippi. Committee of Law and Order (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Noncirculating; available for research
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected from unauthorized copying by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code).
Biographical / Historical
The article details the alleged murder of Paul Johnson, an Illinois native who purchased the Selma Plantation in Natchez and moved to Mississippi along with his parents and brother. Ed Carter, the accused murderer, allegedly shot Johnson. The broadside is undated.
1 Item (1 folder) : 302A.B1.A2
Language of Materials
The Adams County Broadside collection contains one article titled “Paul Johnson Murdered!”, which recounts the alleged murder of Paul Johnson—owner of Selma Plantation in Natchez, Mississippi—by Ed Carter, one of Johnson’s African American tenants. This collection would be particularly important for researchers studying Southern plantations, sharecropping, and interracial relationships in the South in the late nineteenth or early twentieth century.
This small collection consists of one folder.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated by Unknown; Transferred from Mississippiana Vertical File.
Adams County Broadside, M547, Historical Manuscripts, Special Collections, The University of Southern Mississippi Libraries.
- Adams County (Miss.). Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Broadsides. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Crime -- Mississippi. Subject Source: Local sources
- Criminal justice, Administration of. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Posters. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Adams County Broadside
- Collection processed and finding aid written by Jonathan Puckett
- 08 May 2019
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Historical Manuscripts and Photographs Repository
118 College Drive - 5148
Hattiesburg MS 39406-0001