Paul Terrell Freedom Summer Collection
Scope and Contents
The contents of this small collection include photographs of Paul Terrell and other volunteers during Mississippi Freedom Summer as a volunteer at the Morning Star Baptist Church in Hattiesburg, Mississippi.
- 1964-1965; undated
- Terrell, Paul, Dr. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Noncirculating; available for research.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected from unauthorized copying by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code).
Biographical / Historical
Paul Terrell was a Professor of Sociology, lecturer, and coordinator of academic programs emeritus at the School of Social Welfare. His research focuses on social policy, particularly the financing and organization of social welfare programs and public voluntary sector relationships and contracting.
He has coauthored Dimensions of Social Welfare Policy, The Social Impact of Revenue Sharing: Planning, Participation, and The Purchase of Service, and Social Services Contracting in the Bay Area. Articles he authored include studies of advocacy in social work, financing social services, and privatization.
The Summer of 1964 in Mississippi was a pivotal moment in Civil Rights history, and it is commonly called Freedom Summer or the Mississippi Summer Project. The goals of the project were to establish Freedom Schools, promote black voter registration, and to alter the white delegation. Paul Terrell was a volunteer at the Morning Star Freedom School in Hattiesburg.
1 Folder (6 images)
Language of Materials
Photographs and reproductions of photographs related to Paul Terrell's time as a volunteer during Freedom Summer in Mississippi.
The collection was arranged in the order it was received.
Donated by Paul Terrell on June 27, 2014.
• Case File
• Contents from the collection
• Biographical information on Freedom Summer obtained from: https://snccdigital.org/events/freedom-summer/
- Civil rights movements -- Mississippi -- History -- 20th century. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Civil rights workers -- Mississippi. Subject Source: Local sources
- Civil rights. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Democratic Party (Miss.). Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mississippi Freedom Democratic Party. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mississippi Freedom Project. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photographs. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Paul Terrell Freedom Summer Collection
- Collection processed and finding aid written by Amanda Abulawi
- April 16, 2020
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Historical Manuscripts and Photographs Repository
118 College Drive - 5148
Hattiesburg MS 39406-0001