Ed Wheeler Collection
Photographs collected by Ed Wheeler. Many were taken by his former students at USM.
- 1948-2009; undated
- Wheeler, Ed (Photographer, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Noncirculating; available for research.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected from unauthorized copying by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code).
Biographical / Historical
Professor Ed Wheeler served on the faculty at the University of Southern Mississippi from 1977 to 1995. During that time, he developed an outstanding photography program that launched the careers of dozens of highly successful photojournalists who went on to win virtually every honor in journalism including several Pulitzer Prizes.
Before his academic career, he worked 12 years as a staff photographer for "The Dallas Morning News". His photography has been widely exhibited at galleries and museums in Louisiana and Mississippi. He earned bachelor’s and master’s degrees at East Texas State University and pursued doctoral studies at the University of Texas. At the time of his induction into the MCJ Hall of Fame in 2007, he was Professor Emeritus and living in Hattiesburg, where he continued to provide support to the School of Mass Communication and Journalism’s photojournalism program.
30 Cubic Feet (total) : 302A.B0
Language of Materials
- Photographs. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photojournalists. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Teachers. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- University of Southern Mississippi -- Faculty. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- University of Southern Mississippi -- Students. Subject Source: Local sources
- Wheeler, Ed (Teacher, Person)
- Ed Wheeler Collection
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Historical Manuscripts and Photographs Repository
118 College Drive - 5148
Hattiesburg MS 39406-0001