The Robber Bridegroom Poster
Scope and Contents
In November 1987, Lemuria Bookstore in Jackson hosted a premiere for a new illustrated edition of The Robber Bridegroom. According to a contemporary newspaper report in the Clarion-Ledger, “[t]he new edition features woodcut illustrations by Barry Moser,” who “also executed the watercolor illustration for Jump Again, a new edition of collected stories by Joel Chandler Harris, and for I Remember Grandpa, by Truman Capote, first published in 1946.”
This collection consists of a poster, signed by Barry Moser, advertising the illustrated edition of The Robber Bridegroom from 1987. This illustrated edition was published forty-five years after the novella’s original publication date.
- November 13, 1987
- Lemuria Bookstore (1975-) (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Noncirculating; available for research.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected from unauthorized copying by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code).
Biographical / Historical
Mississippi author and Pulitzer Prize winner Eudora Alice Welty (1909-2001) was born and lived in Jackson, Mississippi. She published The Robber Bridegroom in 1942, a novella inspired by the Grimm fairy tale of the same name as well as the myth of Cupid and Psyche. Following its publication, The Robber Bridegroom was adapted into a Broadway musical in 1976.
Barry Moser (1940-) is an illustrator native to Chattanooga, Tennessee. He has illustrated, among other literary works, Lewis Carroll’s Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland and Herman Melville’s Moby-Dick, and his work has been displayed in venues such as the British Museum and the Library of Congress.
1 Item (poster) : MC2/D18
Language of Materials
The Robber Bridegroom Poster Collection consists of a poster from Lemuria Bookstore commemorating an illustrated, forty-fifth anniversary edition of Eudora Welty’s novella, The Robber Bridegroom (1942), which is signed by the illustrator Barry Moser. This collection is of particular interest to researchers studying American literature, Mississippi authors, Eudora Welty, and Barry Moser.
This small collection consists of one item.
Donated by Leesha Faulkner on June 4, 1996.
• Case File
• Contents from the collection
• Ewing, Nell. “Illustrated Version of ‘Bridegroom’ to Debut at Party,” Clarion-Ledger (Jackson, Mississippi), November 8, 1987.
- Art reproduction. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Artists. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Authors -- Mississippi. Subject Source: Local sources
- Jackson (Miss.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Lemuria Bookstore (1975-)
- Moser, Barry, 1940-
- Posters. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Welty, Eudora, 1909-2001
- Faulkner, Leesha (Person)
- The Robber Bridegroom Poster
- Collection processed and finding aid written by Jonathan Puckett
- 10 April 2020
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Historical Manuscripts and Photographs Repository
118 College Drive - 5148
Hattiesburg MS 39406-0001