Black Lives Matter Collection
Scope and Contents
Materials relating to the Black Lives Matter movement in Hattiesburg, Mississippi.
- Creation: circa 2020
Conditions Governing Access
Noncirculating; available for research.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected from unauthorized copying by the Copyright Law of the united States (Title 17, United States Code).
Biographical / Historical
Alicia Garza, Patrisse Cullors, and Opal Tometi founded the Black Lives Matter organization in 2013 in response to the lack of a conviction in the murder of Trayvon Martin. Since then, the Black Lives Matter movement has become a global organization striving for equality for African Americans all across the world. The Black Lives Matter Global Network is a decentralized organization that uses a set of guiding principles and provides a network to help inspire and empower the African American community.
4 Items (total)
Language of Materials
Donated by Jennifer Torres, Dr. Matthew Casey, and Jennifer Brannock.
Genre / Form
- African Americans -- Civil rights.
- African Americans.
- Black lives matter movement.
- Civil rights movements -- Mississippi -- History -- 21st century.
- Civil rights.
- Hattiesburg (Miss.) -- History -- 21st century.
- Politics and culture -- United States -- History -- 21st century.
- University of Southern Mississippi -- Students.
- Black Lives Matter Collection
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Historical Manuscripts and Photographs Repository
118 College Drive - 5148
Hattiesburg MS 39406-0001