Salem Baptist Church Records, 1874-1894
Scope and Contents
This collection of a photocopy of the original records of the Salem Baptist Church, Covington County, Mississippi. The title page reads, "Organization of Salem Church June 13, 1874 and Minutes to July 1894." Included in the record book is a statement of the church's Articles of Faith and minutes of the monthly church "conferences" from 1874 to 1894. At these conferences, church business was transacted, and members were received, dismissed, or disciplined. The minutes also record the name of the preacher for the day's services, the moderator, and the church clerk.
Ministers who served Salem Baptist Church during the years 1874-1894 were W. E. Sheppard, R. M. Webster, M. G. Turner, H. M. Long, T. S. Powell, M. E. Maning, J. N. Walker, and T. E. H. Robinson.
- Creation: June 13, 1874-July 18, 1894
Conditions Governing Access
Noncirculating; available for research.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected from unauthorized copying by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code).
Biographical / Historical
The Salem Baptist Church was organized on June 13, 1874, in the Rodgers School House, Salem Community, Covington County, Mississippi. A presbytery of four Baptist ministers-E. L. Carter, J. P. Johnston, W. E. Sheppard and R. M. Webster-assisted in the organization of the church. W. E. Sheppard was elected the first pastor.
Meetings of the church were held in Rodgers School until a building was constructed. A second building was planned in 1894 and completed in 1895.
Salem united with the Ebenezer Baptist Association shortly after its formation.
Language of Materials
Records of this Covington County, Mississippi church.
Records made available for copying by Mrs. Lucille Rogers Skehan, ca. 1970-1975.
- Salem Baptist Church Records, 1874-1894
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Historical Manuscripts and Photographs Repository
118 College Drive - 5148
Hattiesburg MS 39406-0001