Skip to main content

Homochitto Lumber Company Photograph

Identifier: M520

Scope and Contents

An 8.5” x 13.5” black and white aerial photograph of the Homochitto Lumbar Company in Bude, Mississippi (Franklin County). Fenwick L. Peck of the company was organized in 1912 by Fenwick L. Peck of the U.S. Lumber Company, and began operation in 1913.


  • Creation: Majority of material found within circa 1923


Conditions Governing Access

Noncirculating; available for research.

Conditions Governing Use

This collection may be protected from unauthorized copying by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code).

Biographical / Historical

On February 6, 1912, the Homochitto Lumber Company was formed in Brookhaven. The company was named for the nearby river.

Not long after its founding, the company began purchasing tracks of timber in Adams, Amite, and Franklin Counties. By the end of 1912, the Homochitto Company possessed a total of 90,000 acres.

On June 12, 1912, the mill’s building foundation was laid, and it was operational on February 1, 1913. The mill hired about 800 people. Several logging railroads were also built. It was not until December 14, 1943 when the company officially dissolved.


1 Folder (1 item) : MC2.D14

Language of Materials



An aerial photograph of the Homochitto Lumber Company in Bude, Mississippi.


Donated by We Care Community Thrift Center, Dayton, Tennessee.

Related Materials

M134 Goodyear Yellow Pine Company Photographs

M286 Newman (J. J.) Lumber Company Records

M291 Ingram-Day Lumber Company Photographs

M292 Major-Sowers Saw Mill Photographs

M293 Weston Lumber Company Photographs

Processing Information

Collection processed and finding aid written by Shawna Guidry on July 19, 2018.

Homochitto Lumber Company Photograph
Shawna Guidry
Language of description
Script of description
Code for undetermined script

Repository Details

Part of the Historical Manuscripts and Photographs Repository

118 College Drive - 5148
Hattiesburg MS 39406-0001