Ruby Randle Dedeaux Collection
Scope and Contents
The collection includes Ruby Randle Dedeaux’s “Golden Jubilee” Diploma as well as a scrapbook of her years at Mississippi Normal College. The scrapbook is titled “‘To the memory of other days:’ 1914-’15-’16” and includes pamphlets and programs, registration receipts, grade reports, pressed flowers, sketches, and other memorabilia.
Conditions Governing Access
Noncirculating; available for research.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected from unauthorized copying by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code).
Biographical / Historical
Ruby Randle attended Mississippi Normal College (now the University of Southern Mississippi) from 1914 to 1916 and was awarded a “Golden Jubilee Diploma” on August 14, 1966 along with other original attendees of the school.
1 Folder (12 items) : MC2/D12
Language of Materials
The collection contains memorabilia related to Ruby Randle Dedeaux’s time at Mississippi Normal College from 1914-1916 as well as her “Golden Jubilee Diploma” from 1966.
Some specific items are:
1. Her first and last receipt
2. Her course schedule
3. Words to yells used at football games
4. Student’s Athletic Pass for 1915-16
5. Mississippi Normal College statement of Board Account June, 1916
6. Various notes, cards and letters from friends and family
7. Several Debate Programs
a. Inter-Society Debate, March 17, 1916, “That Women should be granted the right of suffrage.”
b. Annual Debate, February 19, 1916, “That the United States government should own, operate and maintain a merchant marine.”
c. Annual Debate, April 15, 1916, “That Immigration into the United States should be further restricted by a literacy test.”
d. Inter-Society Debate, May 25, no year, “That the United States should purchase Northern Mexico and pay therefor $300,000,000.”
8. Music sheet of “The Ounce of Prevention” by C.E. Thomas with a note they it was written by “Polly’s Uncle”
9. Her Bulletin from Mississippi Normal College, April, 1914, Volume 1, Number 4.
Donated by Timothy Dedeaux, Leah Dedeaux Williamson, and Laura Dedeaux McCroy on September 11, 2009, and Edwin K. Dedeaux on October 26, 2012.
- Albums (Books). Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Education, Higher -- History -- 20th century. Subject Source: Local sources
- Financial documents. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Music. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Programs (Publications). Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- University of Southern Mississippi -- Students. Subject Source: Local sources
- Ruby Randle Dedeaux Collection
- Processed by Lauren White.
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Historical Manuscripts and Photographs Repository
118 College Drive - 5148
Hattiesburg MS 39406-0001