Beverly Drive-In Collection
Scope and Contents
This collection contains memorabilia such as tickets and passes from the Beverly Drive-In Theatre and the Broadway Drive –In Theatre.
- Creation: Majority of material found within circa 1950’s; undated
Conditions Governing Access
Noncirculating; available for research.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected from unauthorized copying by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code).
Form of Material
The Beverly Drive-In opened in 1948 by Herb and Sue Hargroder and the first movie shown was the Ann Blyth and Sonny Tufts movie “Swell Guy”. The popularity of drive-in movie theatres in the 1950s and 1960s allowed the Beverly Drive-In to become a prominent business and landmark in the Hattiesburg area.
When Herb Hargroder passed away in 1980 the theatre would only remain open for another seven years before closing in 1987. The Beverly Drive-In would open again in 1997 but only to host fundraisers for the Association of Retarded Citizens. The theatre would not become open to the general public until 2001. The damage from Hurricane Katrina in 2005 caused the theatre to close indefinitely and in 2006-2007 the Hargroder family decided to place the theatre for sale. The Beverly Drive-In was listed as an endangered historic place by the Mississippi Heritage Trust and was also placed on the National Register of Historic Places. In 2010 a fire destroyed the Beverly Drive-In and the theatre was never rebuilt. The Beverly Drive-In was one of only three drive-in theatres in the state of Mississippi at the time, now only one remains in Iuka, Mississippi.
.25 Cubic Feet
Language of Materials
Memorabilia from the Beverly Drive-In Theatre and the Broadway Drive-In Theatre.
This collection is arranged alphabetically based on folder titles.
Donated by Kaylene Behm on April 7, 2009.
Biographical information obtained from the case file.
- Beverly Drive-In Collection
- Collection processed and finding aid written by Amanda Abulawi.
- June 18, 2019
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Historical Manuscripts and Photographs Repository
118 College Drive - 5148
Hattiesburg MS 39406-0001