Business and Professional Women’s Club, Gulfport, Mississippi
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of material related to the Business and Professional Women’s Club located in Gulfport, Mississippi between 1927-1934.
- Creation: 1927-1934; undated
Conditions Governing Access
Noncirculating; available for research.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected from unauthorized copying by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code).
Biographical / Historical
According to bpwfoundation.org/, the “Business and Professional Women’s Foundation (BPW Foundation) is the first foundation and research center in America dedicated exclusively to the interests and advancement of working women.” This can be seen in the Gulfport, Mississippi Chapter. According to this Chapter’s Constitution, they “promote the interests of business and professional women; to secure combined action by them; to stimulate local organization and cooperation among the business and professional women, and to promote the ideals of the State and National Federations of Business and Professional Women’s Clubs”.
The Business and Professional Women’s Club in Gulfport assisted in making the Gulf Coast a better place. The Club took on various cleanup projects around the city, introduced a safety education course in the public schools, and petitioned to have a junkyard and second hand automobile establishment removed from local residential areas.
.25 Cubic Feet
Language of Materials
Form of Material
Correspondence, copied newspaper clippings, and other materials pertaining to activates of the Business and Professional Women’s Club.
The collection is arranged by groups. Each group is then arranged chronologically. The groups consists of correspondence, copied newspaper clippings, and related material.
Purchased from Tim Taylor.
- Business and Professional Women’s Club, Gulfport, Mississippi
- Collection processed and finding aid written by Shawna Guidry
- November 7, 2018
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Historical Manuscripts and Photographs Repository
118 College Drive - 5148
Hattiesburg MS 39406-0001