Form of Material
Photographs, a football jacket, a newspaper clipping, and postcards given by the late Mrs. Mary E. Odum in memory of her beloved son, Charles Douglas “Doug” Odum. Doug Odum was a student at Demonstration High School on the USM Hattiesburg campus in the late 1940s and played for the DHS football team, the Demons. After high school, he enlisted in the U. S. Army and served in Germany until he became gravely ill with bone cancer. He was returned to the U. S. for treatment, but died shortly thereafter at the age of 21 (circa 1953). Items included in Mrs. Odum’s donation are:
1. Doug Odum’s black and gold Demonstration High School varsity football jacket
2. Two black and white photographs of Doug Odum (circa 1948)
3. 19 photographs depicting parades in downtown Hattiesburg, several of which are dated 1959. Others are undated, but circa 1950s.
4. A newspaper clipping about the Demonstration High School football team in which Doug Odum is mentioned as left tackle.
5. Two color postcards portraying Bennett Auditorium and Reed Green Coliseum on the USM Hattiesburg campus (circa 1960s)
- circa 1948-1968
Conditions Governing Access
Noncirculating; available for research.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected from unauthorized copying by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code).
.50 Cubic Feet
Language of Materials
Photographs, a football jacket, newspaper clippings, postcards, etc. from the Demonstration High School on the USM Hattiesburg campus in the late 1940s.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Mrs. Mary E. Odum (deceased), via Belinda Runnels and Rusty Rolison.
- Clippings (Books, newspapers, etc.). Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Demonstration School (Hattiesburg, Miss.) (1926-1963)
- Memorabilia. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photographs. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Postcards. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- University of Southern Mississippi. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Demonstration School
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Historical Manuscripts and Photographs Repository
118 College Drive - 5148
Hattiesburg MS 39406-0001