S.C. Hall Collection
Scope and Contents
This collection consists of newspaper clippings (originals and photocopies) from Teacher’s College News, The Student Printz and the New Albany Newspaper regarding former University of Southern Mississippi (Mississippi Normal College when he was teaching) faculty member S.C. Hall. The collection also contains photocopies of a photograph of Mr. Hall, a mailing envelope from Mississippi Normal College, S.C. Hall’s instructor personal data sheet, a reference letter from Hugh McQueen Street’s assistant and an original calling card. The collection also contains a timeline of S.C. Hall’s life.
- circa 1917-1940
- Hall, S.C., Professor of Social Sciences, Head of Social Sciences Department (Samuel Claude), 1877-1947 (Person)
- Student Printz (1927-) (Organization)
- Teacher’s College News (1924-1926) (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Noncirculating; available for research.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected from unauthorized copying by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code).
Biographical / Historical
Samuel Claude Hall was born November 23, 1877 in Union County, Mississippi. When he was nineteen, he taught high school in Union Country for four years and then taught in New Albany, Mississippi for two years. In 1907, Mr. Hall received his bachelor’s degree from the University of Mississippi, and he would later receive his master’s degree from the same school in 1925. In May of 1916, he became a professor and head of the Department of Social Science at the University of Southern Mississippi (Mississippi Normal College at the time). Mr. Hall remained at USM until his retirement in 1940 after twenty-four years. S.C. Hall married Blanche Ernest and they had three children. Mr. Hall died on October 10, 1947 and was buried in Highland Park Cemetery. This collection would be of interests to researchers who wish to learn more about the history of USM and its early faculty members.
Language of Materials
Newspaper clippings, originals and photocopies, from Teacher’s College News, The Student Printz, and the New Albany Newspaper concerning S.C. Hall, one of Mississippi Normal College’s early faculty members.
The collection consists of one folder.
Donated by Robert S. Tannehill, Jr. on May 4, 2012. Janet Vital and Angelica McIntyre on May 14, 2012.
• Case File
• Contents from the collection
- Bibliography. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Business cards. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Clippings (Books, newspapers, etc.). Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Hall, S.C., Professor of Social Sciences, Head of Social Sciences Department (Samuel Claude), 1877-1947
- Photographs. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Records (Documents). Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- University of Southern Mississippi -- Faculty. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- S.C. Hall Collection
- Collection processed and finding aid written by Amanda Abulawi
- July 10, 2020
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Historical Manuscripts and Photographs Repository
118 College Drive - 5148
Hattiesburg MS 39406-0001