Showing Collections: 31 - 60 of 85
Family correspondence, scrapbook, other of Mississippi railroad entrepreneur, politician, judge, and founder of Hattiesburg, Laurel, and Gulfport, Mississippi.
Garland Sullivan was a member of the Board of Directors for both the Hattiesburg Area Chamber of Commerce and the Forrest County Development Foundation. The collection contains materials from the Hattiesburg Area Chamber of Commerce, Forrest County Development Foundation, Area Development Partnership, and other organizations from the Hattiesburg, Mississippi area.
Photographs, artifacts, and memorabilia from Hattiesburg area businesses and others.
Photographs reproduced in Dr. Kenneth G. McCarty's book Hattiesburg: A Pictorial History.
Ledgers and files containing the records of public schools in Hattiesburg, Mississippi.
The Review Club was established as a literary and social club for women in Hattiesburg, Mississippi. From 1913-early 2020, it continued with much the same structure as established in 1913.
The collection contains various paper materials such as correspondence, copied newspapers, brochures, flyers, and photographs. Non-paper material items includes such things as a plaque, a ribbon, a windbreaker, and a plastic Coke mug.
This collection consists of a variety of materials reflecting the history of the Young Women's Christian Association (YWCA) of Hattiesburg, Mississippi, from its charter in 1924, to its merger with the Young Men's Christian Association (YMCA) of Hattiesburg, Mississippi, in 1984.
This collection should be of interest to researchers of women's and girls' organizations, or women's history, and may also be of interest to researchers of the history of Hattiesburg.
Miscellaneous personal papers of a Hattiesburg resident. Mrs. Edna L. Hollensed was the great granddaughter of John Wesley Hollensed (M34). She lived at 1414 North Main Street and died in the mid-1990s.
This collection consists of a scrapbook with original photographs, newspaper clippings, artifacts, minutes of meetings (1948-1955), correspondence from commercial jewelers regarding membership pins, and copies of the club’s constitution. Additionally, a preservation photocopy of the scrapbook has been made on acid-free paper and placed in the collection.
Post cards, correspondence, printed items, photos, and other memorabilia collected by this long time Hattiesburg resident.
Newspaper clippings, printed material, and photos regarding the professional activities of the donor and her sister Dr. Joyce Ladner, natives of Palmer's Crossing, Mississippi and SNCC Field Secretaries.
The collection contains photocopies of newspaper articles describing the attack on Rabbi Arthur J. Lelyveld, Lawrence Spears, and David Owen on July 10, 1964. There are also two DVDs of interviews with Rabbi Lelyveld.
Newspaper clippings of columns published in the Hattiesburg American. They contain advice on etiquette, decorating, arts & crafts, flowers, shrubs, & gardening. Most of the columns have at least one recipe. Some recipes are from area restaurants.
Writings, correspondence, photographs, and condolence letters on the death of this outspoken proponent of Civil Rights and Rabbi at Temple B'Nai Israel in Hattiesburg, Mississippi.
This collection contains records, notes, photographs, and publications.
In 1995 Miss Oseola McCarty, an African American laundress, donated the bulk of her life’s savings, $150,000, to The University of Southern Mississippi to provide scholarships for deserving students. This collection documents her generous act and the multitude of honors and awards presented to her in the ensuing years.
Business records of a Hattiesburg, Mississippi department store.
This collection contains information about The Merchants Café.
Photographs, newspaper clippings and memorabilia about this Hattiesburg hospital (now Wesley Medical Center) and its School of Nursing.
Bo Morgan holds a Ph.D. in history from Memphis State University. He studies the history of the American South and is a leading expert on Mississippi history. He teaches courses on the South after Reconstruction, Mississippi, the theory and philosophy of history, and intellectual history. Dr. Morgan, the former chair of the Department of History at Delta State University, joined USM's Department of History in the fall of 2009.
This collection contains clippings, correspondence, memorabilia, menus, invitations, media, scrapbooks, photographs, speeches and planning materials for The Mystic Krewe of Zeus. The materials primarily date 1924-2020.
This collection consists of thirteen volumes of journals and ledgers documenting the financial condition, accounts and related activities of the J. J. Newman Lumber Company which operated in Hattiesburg, Mississippi between approximately 1894 and 1943. It is not a complete set of the company's books, but some information is available for almost every year of the company's existence. The largest gaps for which no information is available are 1899-1902 and 1907-1908.
Scrapbooks, minutes, yearbooks, photographs, and early histories of the Original Home and Garden Club of Hattiesburg, Mississippi, 1927-1990.
This collection includes records of Orpheus Club activities from 1926 to 1986.
The Selby Parker collection consists of one essay, a typescript, and miscellaneous articles written by and pertaining to the Mississippi author and former Youth Court Counselor of Hattiesburg, Mississippi. This collection is of particular interest to researchers studying the 1960s Civil Rights Movement, Mississippi authors and journalists, the University of Southern Mississippi, and local Hattiesburg history.
This collection contains historical materials, children’s books, and various magazines.
This multi-faceted collection consists of materials related to the 80 year history of the Pine Belt Family YMCA, originally known as the Hattiesburg YMCA.
A collection of correspondence, estate documents, certificates, newsletters, genealogical materials and other items pertaining to the families of Abner Polk and his wife, Ida Chambers Polk. Abner Polk was born in Lawrence County, Mississippi in 1860, and Ida Chambers was born in Washington County, Alabama in 1867. Abner and Ida were married on February 13, 1890, and lived in Marion County, Mississippi until approximately 1898, when they moved to Hattiesburg.