Showing Collections: 1 - 4 of 4
This collection contains correspondence, photographs, and other memorabilia relating to the life and career of Dr. John Calvin Berry, the first African American faculty member at the University of Southern Mississippi.
The collection contains various paper materials such as correspondence, copied newspapers, brochures, flyers, and photographs. Non-paper material items includes such things as a plaque, a ribbon, a windbreaker, and a plastic Coke mug.
In 1995 Miss Oseola McCarty, an African American laundress, donated the bulk of her life’s savings, $150,000, to The University of Southern Mississippi to provide scholarships for deserving students. This collection documents her generous act and the multitude of honors and awards presented to her in the ensuing years.
- Brochures. 3
- Clippings (Books, newspapers, etc.). 3
- Memorabilia. 3
- African Americans. 2
- Books. 2
- Certificates. 2
- Clubs. 2
- Directory. 2
- Essay. 2
- Financial documents. 2
- Fliers (Ephemera). 2
- Programs (Publications). 2
- University of Southern Mississippi. 2
- Account books. 1 + ∧ less
- Berry, John Calvin, Dr., 1925-2013 1
- McCarty, Oseola, 1908-1999 1
- Pendergrass, John L., M.D. 1
- Rotary Club of Hattiesburg (Hattiesburg, Miss.) (1918-) 1