Showing Collections: 1 - 16 of 16
The David Batzka Civil Rights Collection contains papers from before, during, and after Batzka’s time in Clarksdale, Mississippi, during the Freedom Summer of 1964. This collection would be of interest to researchers studying the Civil Rights Movement, Mississippi history, and Freedom Summer.
This collection is a compilation of various materials relating to the Civil Rights Movement in the South.
Correspondence, scrapbooks, photo albums, printed materials, political campaign and organizations' buttons, poster, and video tapes of this Freedom Summer volunteer in Holly Springs, Mississippi.
The Edythe Evely Gandy Collection contains Gandy family materials, historical manuscript materials, photographs, films, and memorabilia.
Research collection of historian Charles Sullivan for his book "Hurricanes of the Gulf Coast."
Audio interviews related to the Civil Rights Movement in Marion County, Mississippi.
Pamphlets collected by USM president on communism, civil rights, desegregation, and other race-related topics; a speech on Freedom by Dr. McCain and two books on Benito Mussolini and Italian Fascism.
Photographs taken by creative artist at SNCC orientation session and in Hattiesburg, Mississippi during Freedom Summer, materials documenting USM's commemoration of the 35th anniversary of Freedom Summer on June 5-7, 1999 in conjunction with the opening of the exhibit "Faces of Freedom Summer: The Photographs of Herbert Randall", and materials related to the book Faces of Freedom Summer.
Research collection about noted composer, conductor, and musician Gunther Schuller assembled by USM professor of music Dr. Norbert Carnovale for his 1987 book: "Gunther Schuller: A Bio-bibliography". Copies of the book are available in the Cook Library, call number ML134.S398 C4 1987
The Henry and Sue [Lorenzi] Sojourner Civil Rights Movement Collection contains a vast array of materials from during and after the [Lorenzi] Sojourner’s time in Holmes County, Mississippi, during the Freedom Summer of 1964. This collection would be of interest to researchers studying the Civil Rights Movement, Mississippi history, and Freedom Summer.
S. G. Thigpen, Sr. of Picayune, Mississippi, was an area entrepreneur, historian, and writer who operated from his hardware store from 1919 to his death in 1981. The collection contains financial records, personal papers, essays, photographs, scrapbooks, sound recordings and newspaper articles of Thigpen's life and the Pearl River County, Mississippi area.
Audio tape of 1962 radio interview with Governor Ross Barnett, Lt. Gov. Paul B. Johnson, Jr., and President William D. McCain of The University of Southern Mississippi, formerly Mississippi Southern College.
Video tapes of television spots from campaigns of Mississippi Senator John Stennis, Mississippi Lieutenant Governor Evelyn Gandy, and Democratic Presidential candidate Gary Hart. The accession also includes slides and audio cassettes of the Hattiesburg, Mississippi Historic District Walking Tours for 1985 and 1986.
- Civil rights. 8
- Clippings (Books, newspapers, etc.). 8
- Letter. 8
- Photographs. 8
- Records (Documents). 8
- Brochures. 7
- Memorabilia. 7
- Speech. 6
- Civil rights movements -- Mississippi -- History -- 20th century. 5
- Civil rights workers -- Mississippi. 5
- Financial documents. 5
- Interview. 5
- Mississippi Freedom Project. 5
- Periodicals. 5
- Political campaigns. 5
- Fliers (Ephemera). 4
- Government publications. 4
- Invitation cards. 4
- Map. 4 + ∧ less
- Gandy, Evelyn, 26th Lieutenant Governor of Mississippi (Edythe Evelyn), 1920-2007 2
- Batzka, David Lee, 1941-2002 1
- Colmer, William Meyers, Congressman, 1890-1980 1
- Dahl, Kathleen Aileen 1
- De La Beckwith, Byron, Jr., 1920-2001 1
- Grupper, Ira 1
- Hart, Gary, Senator (Gary Warren Hartpence), 1936- 1
- Johnson, Dorothy (Dot) Power 1
- Johnson, Paul B., Jr., Governor (Paul Burney), 1916-1985 1
- Johnson, Paul B., Sr., Governor (Paul Burney), 1880-1943 1
- Lorenzi, Henry ([Lorenzi] Sojourner), -1982 1
- McAtee, William G. 1
- McCain, William D., Dr., 5th President of Mississippi Southern College (now the University of Southern Mississippi) (William David), 1907-1993 1
- Paul B. Johnson Family 1
- Randall, Herbert, 1936- 1
- Sojourner, Sue [Lorenzi] (Susan Sadoff Lorenzi Hasalo), 1941-2020 1
- Stennis, John C., Senator (John Cornelius), 1901-1995 1
- Sullivan, Charles L., 1942- 1
- Thigpen Hardware Company (1919-1960) 1
- Thigpen, S. G., Sr. (Samuel Grady) 1 + ∧ less