Showing Collections: 1 - 11 of 11
Scope and Contents The Theodore G. Bilbo Papers document the activities of the former Mississippi governor and United States Senator from approximately 1905-1947.This collection provides insight into the government of the state of Mississippi in the early decades of the twentieth century, as well as American culture, political climate, and governmental activities during the Great Depression and World War II. It paints a definitive portrait of one of Mississippi's most colorful and controversial...
Abstract Letters, campaign material, speeches related to candidacy of Byrd for Governor of Mississippi.
Dates: 1947, 1951
Scope and Contents The vast majority of the William M. Colmer Papers encompass his forty-year career as a United States Congressman from Mississippi (1933-1972). However, it also contains a significant amount of material regarding his activities prior to his election to Congress, and a limited amount of materials generated after his retirement in 1972. The original arrangement of the materials has been preserved as closely as possible. Inclusive dates are approximately 1906–1980. The collection divided into...
Abstract Speech given by U.S. House of Representatives by Congressman Davis.
Dates: February 17, 1859
Abstract The Edythe Evely Gandy Collection contains Gandy family materials, historical manuscript materials, photographs, films, and memorabilia.
Abstract The Edythe Evelyn Gandy Personal Collection contains Gandy family materials, historical manuscript materials, photographs, and correspondence.
Dates: circa early 1920s-1995
Abstract This collection has immense research value. In its coverage of Paul B. Johnson's terms as lieutenant governor and governor of Mississippi, it documents one of the most critical periods in the state's history -- the Civil Rights Movement of the 1960s. The State Sovereignty Commission records, along with the Highway Patrol records paint a graphic portrait of efforts to thwart civil rights activities in the state, and to preserve the separation of the races. Additionally, it documents (through...
Dates: circa 1910-1973
Abstract Letters, speeches, publications of Mississippi Congressman Rankin.
Scope and Contents This collection is comprised of materials that document various aspects of Ronnie Shows' service as a United States Congressman from Mississippi's Fourth District (1998-2002). This collection should be of interest to anyone researching government at the national level.
Dates: circa 1996-2003
Abstract U.S. Congressman from Mississippi Thompson's speech to Congress on the war with Mexico and slavery.
Dates: January 9,1847
Form of Material The William Arthur Winstead Papers include scrapbooks, newspaper reports, proposed legislation, and other miscellaneous records concerning Rep. William Arthur Winstead, who served in the United States’ House of Representatives from 1943-1965. This collection would be of particular interest to researchers studying twentieth-century political history, Mississippi politicians, University of Southern Mississippi alumnae, and the Civil Rights Movement.
- Letter. 9
- Clippings (Books, newspapers, etc.). 8
- Photographs. 7
- Political campaigns. 7
- Records (Documents). 7
- Mississippi -- Politics and government -- 1951- 6
- Legislators -- United States. 5
- Memorabilia. 5
- Mississippi -- Politics and government -- 1865-1950. 5
- Programs (Publications). 5
- University of Southern Mississippi -- Students. 5
- Albums (Books). 4
- Awards. 4
- Financial documents. 4
- Government publications. 4
- Lieutenant governors -- Mississippi. 4
- Newsletters. 4
- Periodicals. 4 ∧ less
- Bilbo, Theodore Gilmore, Governor, 1877-1947 2
- Colmer, William Meyers, Congressman, 1890-1980 2
- Gandy, Evelyn, 26th Lieutenant Governor of Mississippi (Edythe Evelyn), 1920-2007 2
- Johnson, Johnson, Paul B., Jr., Governor (Paul Burney), 1916-1985 2
- Barnett, Ross R., 53rd Governor of Mississippi (Ross Robert), 1898-1987 1
- Byrd, Jesse M., State Senator, 1896-1966 1
- Davis, Reuben, Congressman, 1813-1890 1
- Johnson, Dorothy (Dot) Power 1
- Johnson, Paul B., Sr., Governor (Paul Burney), 1880-1943 1
- Paul B. Johnson Family 1
- Rankin, John E., Congressman (John Elliott), 1882-1960 1
- Shows, Ronnie, Congressman (Clifford Ronald), 1947- 1
- Stennis, John C., Senator (John Cornelius), 1901-1995 1
- Thompson, Jacob, 1810-1885 1
- Winstead, W. Arthur, Mississippi Congressman, U.S. House of Representatives (William Arthur), 1904-1995 1 ∧ less