Showing Collections: 61 - 82 of 82
Pamphlets and programs from various Hattiesburg area activities, certificates and correspondence from the Office of Price Administration, and war bonds and ration books.
The Stephen C. Rose papers include a broad range of materials spanning a significant portion of Mr. Rose’s life. His relations with Will D. Campbell and his participation in the SCLC’s Student Interracial Ministry project should be of interest to researchers of civil rights activities in the southern United States. The collection is divided into three series, two of which contain several subseries.
Business records of a mercantile business in south central Mississippi.
Organizational records of district encompassing the southern third of Mississippi and southeastern Louisiana.
Original ledger from a cotton gin in Newhebron, Mississippi, owned by Joe and Charlotte Sharp. Cotton was a cash crop that many local farmers depended on to finance their families. This cotton gin was used by most of the farmers in northern Lawrence County. The ledger documents the amount of each delivery as well as who delivered the bales.
The Henry and Sue [Lorenzi] Sojourner Civil Rights Movement Collection contains a vast array of materials from during and after the [Lorenzi] Sojourner’s time in Holmes County, Mississippi, during the Freedom Summer of 1964. This collection would be of interest to researchers studying the Civil Rights Movement, Mississippi history, and Freedom Summer.
The Stovall Family Association records and research material.
This collection should be of interest to students of history, as well as local history buffs. While accounts of the fight differ on minor points such as the color of the fighters' trunks, what they ate for breakfast, and what they drank between rounds, they are in agreement on such major issues as events leading up to the fight, length of the fight, round by round descriptions, and of course, the outcome -- the Great John L. remained heavyweight champion of the world.
The Tatum family were prominent owners of businesses and land in and around the Hattiesburg, Mississippi area beginning in 1893 with the establishment of their first lumber mill. The collection contains financial records, personal papers, photographs, blueprints, newspaper articles, maps and artifacts of the Tatum family’s business dealings as well as local Hattiesburg history, including W. S. F. Tatum’s mayoral term from 1922 to 1924 and again from 1928 to 1936.
S. G. Thigpen, Sr. of Picayune, Mississippi, was an area entrepreneur, historian, and writer who operated from his hardware store from 1919 to his death in 1981. The collection contains financial records, personal papers, essays, photographs, scrapbooks, sound recordings and newspaper articles of Thigpen's life and the Pearl River County, Mississippi area.
The collection contains materials pertaining to Elton Cartis Tucker’s service in the U.S. Army. Items range from his service in the military, material on the First U.S. Infantry Division, and various memorabilia such as a cloth and paper swastika to postage stamps to a small shaving mirror.
Correspondence, laboratory notes, research notes, reports, newsletters, business records, photographs, and journal articles.
These records document the activities of the Vickers Plant Farms, which were based in Hattiesburg and located in the surrounding area.
The collection is unprocessed and unorganized.
This is a collection of documents collected by Ernest A. Walen of Longmeadow, Massachusetts. The collection contains original letters, orders, printed material, official documents, photographs, newspaper clippings, prints, etc. covering the 19th Century with an emphasis on American Civil War materials and some 20th Century materials concerning the Civil War. Most of the material on the Civil War concerns the Confederacy, with some Federal documents included.
Correspondence, video, other materials documenting the life and early death in the Vietnam War of this Congressional Medal of Honor winner.
Business records of the general store and blacksmith shop operated by Mr. Edward "E.C." Wilkerson near Lake, Mississippi from 1926 to 1933. The collection consists of invoices, bills of lading, receipts, and correspondence and the metal cracker tin in which they had been stored.