Showing Collections: 61 - 90 of 175
This collection contains historical materials and various publications.
Materials documenting the Lamar Elementary School, of which Mrs. Gooding was principal, and other Hattiesburg and South Mississippi public schools.
State Teachers College student memorabilia.
Original music composed by Dr. Albert E. Gower, Chairman of the Department of Music Education at The University of Southern Mississippi, for Mississippi's Junior Miss pageant and for the Miss Mississippi pageant, plus his "Symphony No. 1".
Scrapbook, newspaper clippings, and programs documenting the history of USM and Hattiesburg given by the former secretary of President Emeritus Lucas.
Reagan Grimsley has written numerous archival and historical articles. He is also the author of "Enriching Lives: A Pictorial History of Columbus State University" and "Hattiesburg in Vintage Postcards".
Papers of Dr. John D.W. Guice, University of Southern Mississippi Professor Emeritus of History.
Typescripts and galley proofs of books written by USM professor of counseling psychology, and other published material.
Newspaper clippings, originals and photocopies, from Teacher’s College News, The Student Printz, and the New Albany Newspaper concerning S.C. Hall, one of Mississippi Normal College’s early faculty members.
Files from Dr. Hamman’s involvement with the Mississippi Council on Family Relations as well as being a faculty member in the Home Economics Department at USM.
Material from USM History Professor Glenn T. Harper.
Memoir of his arrest as a child for picketing the Forrest County Courthouse during the Civil Rights Movement.
The William H. Hatcher Memories of World War II Collection contains a four-page typescript of Dr. Hatcher’s experiences as a paratrooper in World War II. This collection would be of particular interest to researchers studying World War II and university history.
Original photographs published in the Hattiesburg American.
Blueprints, architectural drawings, and specifications for buildings constructed in the Hattiesburg, Mississippi area between 1956 and 1973.
Research materials for book, Hurricane Camille: Monster Storm of the Gulf Coast.
USM materials and state teaching certificates.
The Alma Hickman Papers are a fascinating group of materials that document the life and career of one of the University of Southern Mississippi’s first faculty members. The collection provides information on the educational system in Mississippi during the years Hickman taught, as well as information on the early days of the university. It also documents the many awards and honors Hickman received throughout her career, and includes some of her personal items such as her Bible.
The B.B. Hilbun Collection contains photographs, panoramas, and a yearbook that belonged to Benjamin Bryan Hilbun. Seen these panoramas and photographs are scenes taken from Alma Hickman’s pageant “Neka Camon,” Student Army Training Corps class photographs, and a wedding photograph from the 1960s. This collection is of particular interest to those studying college life in the early 1900s, the Mississippi Normal College, and the “Neka Camon” pageant of 1920.
Photographs, brochures, news clippings, and mementos pertaining to the State Teachers College Band's participation in the "Know Mississippi Better" tours of the U.S. by train.
History of the University of Southern Mississippi’s Library, written in 1972.
The collection contains material pertaining to the writings and publications of Dr. James G. Hollandsworth, correspondence, and manuscripts.
Materials gathered by John Howard during his research of the history of the Choral Department at USM for his dissertation.
A small section of the materials are photocopies of newspaper clippings and brochures. The remaining section of the materials are original brochures and a photograph of Jack Donovan, Choral Conductor at USM from 1964-84.
The collection contains various paper material such as correspondence, copied newspaper articles, copied photographs, several publications, and material on President Jimmy Carter’s inauguration.
Items related to Ann Mulloy Ashmore and her experiences as chair of the Oklahoma IWY Coordination Committee. Marjorie Spruill Wheeler at The University of Southern Mississippi conducted her oral history for inclusion of her book: Divided We Stand: The Battle over Women’s Rights and Family Values that Polarized American Politics.
This collection consists of a scrapbook with original photographs, newspaper clippings, artifacts, minutes of meetings (1948-1955), correspondence from commercial jewelers regarding membership pins, and copies of the club’s constitution. Additionally, a preservation photocopy of the scrapbook has been made on acid-free paper and placed in the collection.
The Charles Kershner Speech is the speech Kershner made on November 9, 2007 at the Symposium on Social Justice at the University of Southern Mississippi. In his speech, Kershner addressed the censorship of the March 20, 1964, issue of The Student Printz. This collection would be of interest to those studying The Student Printz and the University of Southern Mississippi’s history on racial segregation.
- Subject: University of Southern Mississippi. X
- Historical Manuscripts and Photographs 173
- University Archives 2
- Photographs. 86
- Clippings (Books, newspapers, etc.). 84
- University of Southern Mississippi -- Faculty. 78
- Letter. 72
- University of Southern Mississippi -- Students. 68
- Records (Documents). 66
- University of Southern Mississippi. 66
- Programs (Publications). 41
- Periodicals. 39
- Memorabilia. 36
- Albums (Books). 30
- Hattiesburg (Miss.). 29
- Books. 28
- Manuscript. 28
- Speech. 25
- Financial documents. 24
- Brochures. 22
- Postcards. 22
- Newsletters. 21
- University of Southern Mississippi -- History. 20 ∧ less
- English 174
- Italian 1
- Student Printz (1927-) 5
- Hattiesburg High School. 4
- Lucas, Aubrey K., Dr., 6th President and current President Emeritus of the University of Southern Mississippi (Aubrey Keith) 4
- Demonstration School (Hattiesburg, Miss.) (1926-1963) 3
- Fike, Claude E., Dr., University Archivist and Director of McCain Library & Archives; Dean of the College of Arts, 1920-1994 3
- Gandy, Evelyn, 26th Lieutenant Governor of Mississippi (Edythe Evelyn), 1920-2007 3
- McCain, William D., Dr., 5th President of Mississippi Southern College (now the University of Southern Mississippi) (William David), 1907-1993 3
- Ashmore, Ann Mulloy 2
- Bilbo, Theodore Gilmore, Governor, 1877-1947 2
- Cook, R.C., Dr., 4th President of Mississippi Southern College (now the University of Southern Mississippi) (Robert Cecil), 1903-1979 2
- Dixie Darlings (Dance team). (1954-) 2
- George, J. B., Dr., 3rd President of Mississippi Southern College (now the University of Southern Mississippi) (Jennings Burton), 1893-1971 2
- Hattiesburg (Miss.) Public Schools. 2
- Long, James S., Dr. 2
- McCarty, Oseola, 1908-1999 2
- McLemore, Richard Aubrey, Dr., 1903-1976 2
- Ogletree, Powell G. 2
- Stennis, John C., Senator (John Cornelius), 1901-1995 2
- Thames, Shelby Freeland, 8th President and Professor Emeritus of Polymer Science and Engineering 2
- The Hattiesburg American (Miss.) (1897-) 2 ∧ less