Hattiesburg (Miss.) -- History -- 20th century.
Found in 27 Collections and/or Records:
Twenty 2 ½ x 3 ½-inch color cards: “Souvenir Colored Views, Camp Shelby and Hattiesburg, Miss.” Each card in annotated on back with comment. They are contained in original mailer from Camp Shelby soldier to Miss Phyllis Carlson in Mattapan, Massachusetts.
Mrs. Myrtis Rue was an African American native of Hattiesburg and a teacher in the public schools. She was the first person to donate civil rights materials to the USM Archives during the solicitation effort, which began in September 1997. Her gift was this full-page article entitled "Hattiesburg's Beginnings: A Black Perspective" from the Hattiesburg American of November 2, 1980. She died August 3, 2000.
Photographs, newspaper clippings, postcards, correspondence relating to history of Camp Shelby, an armed forces training camp located near Hattiesburg, Mississippi.
Joseph Anderson (Joe) Cook was born on November 16, 1862 in Artesia (Lowndes County), Mississippi. He was a pioneer of education in Mississippi, who provided college educations for all of his children at the school of their choice. This multi-faceted collection consists of materials that encompass the entire Cook Family, but the principal subject is Joseph Anderson (Joe) Cook, first president of Mississippi Normal College at Hattiesburg, Mississippi.
This collection consists of one video of what appears to be the Freedom Day protests of January 22, 1964 that occurred for voter registration outside of the courthouse in Hattiesburg, Mississippi. The Hattiesburg Civil Rights Film is of particular interest to researchers studying the Civil Rights Movement, Mississippi, and Hattiesburg.
The Shemper Family Genealogy Project consists of a school project organized by David Shemper in 1996 that details the history of the Shemper family of Hattiesburg. This collection is of particular interest to those studying local history, Jewish people in the South, and genealogy.
The Tatum family were prominent owners of businesses and land in and around the Hattiesburg, Mississippi area beginning in 1893 with the establishment of their first lumber mill. The collection contains financial records, personal papers, photographs, blueprints, newspaper articles, maps and artifacts of the Tatum family’s business dealings as well as local Hattiesburg history, including W. S. F. Tatum’s mayoral term from 1922 to 1924 and again from 1928 to 1936.
Brick salvaged from burned ruins of historic African American hotel and Civil Rights headquarters during Freedom Summer, with newspaper clipping about the building.